Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Fuzzyface; The Final Production Note

Fuzzyface drops on Thursday at 6PM on Preview Night of Phoenix Comic Con. I got the rest of the comics printed, the fliers, and the ever present and going to be noticeable standup. It's going to be great.
I have worked very hard on this project, and am now doing an interview to help promote the book. I talked to Venus and told her that I would like to attempt to go national with Fuzzyface by submitting the finished product to small press publishers out there. I have a few "ins" in the comic book industry and may look into having the book carried by publishers these people work with.
Fuzzyface is the culmination of several years worth of ideas and work. It all started several years ago when I drew an eviscerated Grover with designs on using it as a t-shirt graphic. I then thought about my favorite movie, The Texas Chain Saw Massacre, and what a story might be like if Agnew were the protagonist. However, Agnew couldn't hunt humans. That just isn't done. No, Agnew needed something different, something that would give him an edge from a traditional horror comic book. It was decided that he should hunt down and kill stuffed animals. I think this was back in 2005 or 2006. This ended up laying dormant for quite some time. That is until Venus of Necro popped into my life and after hanging out for about a year, she decided she wanted to write the second issue of The Book of Grrry, entitled G2. It was a well thought out process and Venus executed the story and the characterization flawlessly. For Valentine's Day 2008 I drew a picture of Fuzzyface for her. She immediately dug the concept and inquired more about what I had planned for the story. I told her my basic idea, and she asked if she could take a crack at writing it. I of course wanted to see her vision. So with a lot of research (watching The Muppet Movie and Texas Chain Saw Massacre over and over) she worked the script out of her demented little mind. Venus then turned the script over to me, and I began the job of bringing the written word to visual life. This was back in late 2008. I put the project on hold for about eight or nine months before I finally got my shiftless ass in gear. I redrew the first few pages that I had originally executed in 2008, and then went back into doing layouts for the book. In all, I drew 54 pages of layouts for the graphic novel. After which I began the pencils, or at least went back to doing the pencils. This book was the single biggest project I have ever undertaken. Through the process, I met up with Venus several times to have her review the pages. Each time she was excited to see the progress I had made and her words coming to life. I met with Tucson Comic Con Social Media Manager, Henry Barajas whom I had met at Charlies Comics a few years before. I asked him to write the intro to the graphic novel. He agreed but only if he got to see the work as well. I consented as one of my provisions was to not let anyone, other than Venus view the work before it's completion. The work took me about five months of steady work. It would have taken less if I had been more vigilant during the inking process, however I began to get burned out. However, knowing the importance of this book and how many people wanted to see it finished. Well, the buzz is back and in just a few days it will see the light of day. At Phoenix Comic Con 2010, Fuzzyface will see the world...
FUZZYFACE IS GONNA KILL YOU!

We'll be at booth T121 in Small Press. Look for the cardboard standup of Fuzzyface.

2 comments:

  1. Hi pleased to meet you

    loving your blog

    come pay a visit some time

    ReplyDelete