Sunday, March 21, 2010

Fuzzyface "The final production notes" Pt. 18

With less than one page of inks left to finish, I am nearing completion on production of the biggest project of my young career. Fuzzyface: The Agnew Chainsaw Massacre is an epic told in 54 pages of explosive hilarity and tribute. This project has been "in the works" for nearly 4 years now. As I first conjured up the idea back in 2006 (I believe) when I drew a picture of a dismembered and gutted Grover. The idea was to produce the image as a t-shirt with the slogan, "Childhood Sucks!" I then took this to thinking about the character Agnew, and my love for the Texas Chain Saw Massacre. The concept was to have Agnew, in the guise of Leatherface, hunting down stuffed animals and wearing their "fur" as masks.
When I was in the midst of a relationship with Venus of Necro, I told her about the story. She loved the idea and after writing the script for GS: The Book of Grrry #2, she demanded to write Fuzzyface. Knowing about her acumen for writing, and her knowledge and love of the Youth in Asia characters, I let her imagination run wild. She finished the script in lat 2008. And I began working on the art. However, due to the relationship ending, I decided to put the project on hold. I didn't pick up the script again until about September of 2009. I began doing layouts for the book. And after putting out about 20 something pages of layouts I decided to start the actual pages. I got into the teens and then decided to finish the layout pages. I finished with 53 total, and then added another page to make it an even number and to add another kill scene.
I met with Venus on a semi weekly basis to go over the artwork. In light of one small change, she agreed with everything I put to the 11X17 Bristol boards. I worked on the project while I was in San Francisco for APE Con. I worked on pages while I sat at my booth and conversed with my fellow exhibitors. I then came back to Tucson and worked on the book while attending Tucson Comic Con. I continued penciling pages while at work and at rest at the neighborhood coffee houses. After I completed pencils, I quickly decided to ink the project solo. I hit up a few people, but thought in the end, like Youth in Asia, Fuzzyface is my concept and my baby. I don't think I would have been happy with myself if I let someone else ink it. The inking process for my past books has always been murder on my wrist. Sometimes I would have to strap on my wrist brace and just muster though. Occasionally it got so bad that I could maybe ink one or two lines before I would have to massage my wrist. The inflammation got so horrible at times. This time though, the only thing that hurt was my elbow, and my fingers from gripping the pens really tightly. See, when I pencil, I'm looser and freer with my line work, but when I ink I tend to get tense and hold my wrist and instrument really tightly. It doesn't help that the pens I use don't have gel grips. Towards the end, meaning these last few pages, I have used a brush pen and a brush on some of the inks. I'm getting more and more comfortable with the brush pen, but I know I need to practice with the brush to begin to mast it.
So, I honestly think that people who have been waiting for this project are going to be happy with end result. The humor. The tribute. The whole concept. It is golden. And after we debut Fuzzyface at Phoenix Comic Con 2010 Memorial Day Weekend, we plan on submitting the book to various indie publishers so that we can hopefully we can get national exposure. So, my advice to you, is get to Phoenix Con this May and make sure you get your first print run, which will be modest, to say you were there when the stuffing hit the fan.

"Oh yes there will be stuffing!"

2 comments: