Thursday, April 8, 2010

Casting myself in a comic book flick....

Of course there is the super obvious choice of Nash from my own book, Youth in Asia. But that's not really fair, since he's based on me anyway. Although, I would have to be more athletic, and there's always the super fun stunt work and wrestling school, I'd have to attend.
But in all seriousness, I would have to go with one of four choices...

Omega Red.... as the seldom used X-Men villain I could go places, Brian Singer would never dare to go. Plus having to work with the cgi Carbonadium Tendrils would be a gas too. I just always liked Omega Red since I red how he made it through the Russian Super Soldier Program, "he toughed it out on pure mean." I honestly think, even though I'm not massive like Arkady Rosavich, I could bring a super dark and tortured presence to the character. He's mean, he's nasty and he's perfectly capable of killing Wolverine. Think about it. He secretes Death Pheromones. Just like Rogue, he would be a really isolated and tortured kind of person. Combine that with the possibility of him not being a willing participant in the Super Soldier program, and I'd give Hugh Jackman a run for his fuckin' money.

Nightwing/Batman... Since I picked up the Wizard 1/2 story, and then went back and bought over a year's worth of back issues by creative team, Chuck Dixon and Scott McDaniel I fell in love with the grown up Dick Grayson. Gone were the days of being Batman's sidekick and protege. Grayson filled the shoes of a much needed hero in the only city that made Gotham look like a great place to live, Bludhaven. From the acrobatics to the sharp wit and biting sarcasm that Bruce would never allow for himself, coupled with the idea that he honestly wants to hang up the tights one day and just be a normal guy. To his troubled, father/son relationship with Bruce. Dick Grayson as either Nightwing or Batman would be a serious ride and sort of cathartic to play. Plus all the stunt work and wire work would be first rate, since I would demand Woo Ping choreograph the fight scenes.

Moon Knight.... Marvel's much darker and more twisted answer to Batman comes in the form of everyman mercenary Marc Spector, who when left for dead in the Egyptian desert finds Kon Shu who grants him power and rebirth. It left Spector a little dazed in the cranium, but playing character with an imbalance would push my acting and probably make me the next Heath Ledger. What? Too soon?.... Seriously, to play a third string character recently given new light by Marvel would allow for a much darker transition and the ability to go places with the character much like they did with Blade. Shrouded in cloak and cape, Moon Knight would be tougher to pull off than Batman, as you wouldn't be able to rely on facial gesticulations or expression. You would have to go where Hugo Weaving went with V. Physical actions and a killer voice would be the only things depicting Spector's further descent into madness. And I think I like that just fine.

The Joker
.... With my final choice, I intend to take things way further than even Heath Ledger could have if he returned for the next face off with Batman. I would dig into my playbook of psychotic with a hint of legitimate humor and rapier wit to be a darker, edgier and bigger, badder Joker than anyone has ever known. People think of the Joker as "just" a psychological villain. When in reality, he's just the chaos that mirrors Batman's so called "sanity and logic." People forget that Bats is just as crazy as the Joker, and I know I could drag that out of that pointy eared freak show. You see, Batman wears a mask. I don't. I'm not hiding who I am. Am I Brucie? So his parents were killed. So were the Menendez Brothers and they turned out alright. Where Ledger conjured up visions of a more sinister Joker, he forgot about the suave style and sophistication that must come with being the number one rogue in the world of four color funny books. I know I could draw on the only two other men who came close to capturing the scintillating style and the mad a macabre that I have festering deep within me. Because as every little boy once wanted to be..... send in the clown!

2 comments:

  1. I am actually a huge Moon Knight fan (and it was awesome to see my friend Jay Leisten work on the book), but I could really see you as Omega Red. Can you do the Russian accent for it? Or better yet, I would cast you as Matt Wagner's Mage.

    But this post reminds me that I am still fighting to portray G'nort in the Green Lantern movie. Hell yea I'd do my own stunts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would gladly pay the ten bucks to watch you play G'Nort.
    And yes, I can do a Russian accent.

    ReplyDelete