Friday, October 1, 2010

Batman & Robin #1; A Hardcore Review

I am going to remind everyone who reads these reviews that the grading system I use is this: instead of thumbs up or stars, I rate on hardcore moments in pro wrestling history. The more hardcore the event, match, promo or moment the more I liked the book, comic, movie or video game I am reviewing. The less hardcore the moment, the more I disliked it. An example would be anything related to Hulk Hogan would be highly NOT recommended. Onto the review...
I saw it on the shelves in Atomic Comics last week as I visited the Phoenix shop to drop off some of my swag to be sold there, but that's another blog.
I picked it up and bought it as it pertains to the new battle for the cowl that Batman left when he vanished during Final Crisis some months ago. I just now read it and here's what I thinks...
I first thought that Grant Morrison was not a good pick for a Batman book, and that Frank Quietly would not do this character justice. AND... I was fucking wrong. This book begins the adventure of Dick Grayson as Batman and Damian as Robin. This book starts out with an amazing panel of tunnel vision by Quietly. It is truly a sight to behold. This is a new era for Batman and DC Comics, which in my estimation and humble opinion are the front runners now. Marvel has been left behind. Where once they had superior characters and artists, DC now stands taller.
C'mon guys, your running a scam of Dark Reign now for like ten months. What the fuck. People don't have the attention spans they once did. They need their fix quick. Comics are that. You get your fix in what? fifteen minutes. That's the time gap you have to work with. Anything that's gonna make me have to wait over a year to finish is way to fucking long.
So DC launched the battle for the cowl and now Dick Grayson is finally, and again, Batman.
The art was superb. Although not a clean enough line style for my liking, but that's Frank's gift. that's what he brings. That's his style, take it or leave it. The colors were spot on. And colorists don't get enough credit either. Alex Sinclair did a fantastic job of seperating Batman's darkness from Robin's light, and the colors of the rogues were a nice touch too. And I give credit where it's due to Mr. Morrison. The man who once quit the business because he claimed the Waschowski Borthers stole his idea and turned it into The Matrix has come back, and he is fit to battle for the cowl too.
For me the ultimate measuring stick for Batman is always going to be The Dark Knight Returns. And this is just one issue speaking, but it's damn good. And it's gonna make a run for it. The dialog alone is amazing as Dick talks to Alfred, and Batman talks to Robin. It's truly good shit.
This has to rank in line with Steve Austin. Not the Stone Cold Rattlesnake you know. This is Austin's "That's not for you baby," promo from ECW. This is one of the best promos he has ever done. And one of the best wrestling promos EVER! That's high praise for Quietly and Morrison. Don't disappoint us boys.

No comments:

Post a Comment