Friday, October 1, 2010

Saul Williams Amethyst Rock Star; A Hardcore Review

I am going to remind everyone who reads these reviews that the grading system I use is this: instead of thumbs up or stars, I rate on hardcore moments in pro wrestling history. The more hardcore the event, match, promo or moment the more I liked the book, comic, movie or video game I am reviewing. The less hardcore the moment, the more I disliked it. An example would be anything related to Hulk Hogan would be highly NOT recommended. Onto the review...
Today, I review Saul Williams' Amethyst Rock Star. Now Saul Williams is in my top five favorite MC's of all time. And that top five is an eclectic mix of who's who in the MC world. Saul is one of the most intelligent and underrated people in the music industry. His lyrics are as smart as Immortal Technique's or Zach de la Rocha's, but no where near as rage filled or violent. And that's not cutting him down. He's an amazingly talented man, in both the lyrics and beats of his music. You can tell that he puts TIME into his work. I have listened to this album a handful of times, and twice in the last few days. And it amazes me every time I hear it.
If you are a fan of trippy, quasi-psychedelic hip hop with some of the sweetest lyrics you've ever heard, then you've gotta listen to some Saul Williams. Any album will do. But this is one of those albums you can listen TO EVERY SINGLE TRACK! I'm not exagerating either. Every one. And when it ends, all too soon, it'll have you wanting, na craving more.
There are times when he weilds the power of Lenny Kravitz on the mic, such as in Fearless. And then there are times when it's pure Saul in Om Nia Merican. They way he combines the beats and then graces it with his voice, turning his vocal chords into yet another tool, another instrument and just makes magic in the studio.
I would feel blessed if Saul were to give his ok to have any of his songs be in the un/official Youth in Asia soundtrack.
Music is so hard for me to grade, due to its subjectivity and it can fit at appropriate times and places. Due to the nature of this being a hardcore review it makes grading someone like Saul Williams even harder. His music is powerful, and empowering, but not in and of itself angry, making hardcore wrestling anecdotes very tough to compare it to. But in my own way, I look forward to certain challenges. So here goes. The year was 1995. The promotion was ECW. The event wasHostile City Showdown. The match: a 30 minute classic between Eddy Guerrero and Dean Malenko for the ECW Television Title. Thirty minutes of pure wrestling. With two guys who in my opinion, never go their due. Sure Eddy got the WWE title in 2004 off of Brock Lesnar, but that was only because Brock was quiting. It was done more as a lifetime achievement award than anything else. And well, they never did much with Dean other than make him a comedy act with the Light Heavyweight Championship. Both men are deserving of great accolades, but this involved no chairs, no tables and no blood loss of any kind. This the kind of match you show anyone who wants to be a wrestler. It's that fucking good. And the result of it is what it should be... a time limit draw.

No comments:

Post a Comment