Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Avatar; A Hardcore Review

Into it holds the idea that we should be fair and balanced and be "nice" and not be damning of a product or its creators. I say this. It would not be truth if I only reviewed things I liked or always in a favorable way. In fact the reviews where I have panned something have brought me the most kudos from readers. And quite simply, if you do not like things to be reviewed fairly and in an editorial manner... DON'T FUCKING READ MY REVIEWS! In fact if that's how you feel you should probably never read anything I write... EVAR!
I am going to remind everyone who reads these reviews that the grading system I use is this: instead of thumbs up or stars, I rate on hardcore moments in pro wrestling history. The more hardcore the event, match, promo or moment the more I liked the book, comic, movie or video game I am reviewing. The less hardcore the moment, the more I disliked it. An example would be anything related to Hulk Hogan would be highly NOT recommended. Onto the review...
I used to step on ants when I was a kid. I also used to toss my friend's cat across the living room onto the couch. But as I have grown older, I have gained an appreciation for all living things. Having seen the previews for Avatar and then hearing the praise brought on by friends, and comic book professionals as well as reviewers all over the country I had to be somewhat skeptical. At one point I had head someone liken Avatar to Dances With Wolves. So while hanging out with my cousin Jackie for lunch today, I was happy to find out she also wanted to see Avatar too. So we went off to The Harkins off the freeway and got out 3D glasses and away on our CGI adventure we went. Not only was this the first movie in a theater I was seeing in 2010, but it was also the first 3D movie I have ever seen in a theater. James Cameron did not disappoint. From the outset, the amazingly colorful and brilliantly lit fauna and jungle became ingrained in my mind. The idea, story and concept was wholly original and has a viable place in this current political climate and in pop culture history. Literally there were points during this movie where I felt tears coming on, and moments where I had to hold back the urge to stand up and cheer. From start to finish, Avatar is the most beautifully put together predominantly CGI movie I have ever seen. The attention to the smallest details of the Avatar's skin, hair and surroundings made me glad to have gone through the Bachelor's in Animation program at the Art Center Design College. It made me proud to be an artist and to have recently begun to find my spirituality. Not a relationship with god, but my own personal belief structure and ideals on life, and choices. Avatar is not only a great movie that is visually stunning, but it also has a phenomenal message, "nature needs to be respected and protected at all costs." Resources are not something to wage war on or to make a profit from, they are to be protected and cherished. And it may make the conservatives in America nervous, that Cameron has ideals about America as a whole and our constitution (meaning out beliefs and ideology, not The Constitution).
There is a surrounding force that encompasses all of nature, as well as the creatures that dwell upon her. And as it was said in Jurassic Park, "nature finds a way." Cause nature doesn't need people believing in it to continue every day. Nature takes the worst of humanity and thrives. It keeps going. Nature is a juggernaut. It cannot be stopped. And I think the Earth is trying to tell us something, with tornadoes, hurricanes, tsunamis and earthquakes. We need to respect Mother Earth. We need to cherish this delicate balance we have with her. Almost ever indigenous culture has a history of the world. How Mother Earth came to be. How the end is going to happen. And yet the only cultures who choose not to pay attention to these stories, are the so called civilized world. The industrialized world, that has already raided and raped the land, ousted the indigenous peoples and created civilized society upon her back.
Movies and stories like this move me in a lot of ways. They teach a lesson without a lot of people really knowing it. They entertain and show such visually dynamic things that people forget that there is an underlying theme. And more than a few people will walk away from Avatar and other examples with the subliminal messaging firmly planted in their minds. It makes me want to make my work more political and push the envelope. But that's what art is. And that's what an artist's job is, to provoke an emotional response. To force people to think and feel. James Cameron and everyone who worked on Avatar did that with at least one more person today. And for that, "thank you."
Being that in my mind Avatar is THE BEST movie of 2009, even ousting District 9 from that mighty perch, I must give it a worth while grade. A moment that started an almost two year long reign as Extreme Championship Wrestling's World Television Champion, Rob Van Dam was just supposed to soften up Bam Bam Bigelow for his upcoming Pay Per View match with the Suicidal, Homicidal, Genocidal, death defying maniac, Sabu. But on that night, the one and future Mr. Pay Per View, and current and always Mr. Monday Night had his own plans. And those plans included not one, but TWO massive jumps from the top rope into the crowd to topple the best big man in the business. A Five Star Frog Splash. A ton of showboating, and interference from Van Dam's running buddy and two time co- World Tag Team Champion, Sabu, who gave Bigelow a fork to the eye... but ending with an assisted Van Daminator. And after 3 seconds there was a neeeeeeeeeeeeew ECW World Television Champion...... Rob Van Dam!

No comments:

Post a Comment