Friday, January 1, 2010

2009 in review and 2010 for Anti-Hero Brand Press and the Hardcore Comic Book Icon

2009 had it's moments for the Hardcore Comic Book Icon and Anti-Hero Brand Press. First was hitting up Phoenix ComiCon in January. People seemed to get a kick out of Got Crayons? I got to be booth neighbors with Phour Nyne Guy, Erik Arreaga. He told me during the convention that he really liked Agnew and wanted to know about his origin and what he was all about. This led to Erik doing an amazing piece of artwork for me to use with AHB promotion. It's a super wicked sadistic looking Agnew that got to be on the back cover of issue 5 of Youth in Asia.
Issue five saw print in late July, and debuted at Animeland Tu-Con. It had a variant cover which paid tribute to Gene Colan's cover to Howard the Duck #5,featuring a roided up Domo Kun versus a very different looking Agnew Pennyworth. The book also saw the first appearance of the Step Monsters, the hot all girl punk band from Apex City.

In October, the Hardcore Comic Book Icon traveled to the Bay with his trusty sidekick, Agnew at his side, for APE Con. There, I took pics with Jeff Smith, Jimmie Robinson and made a lot of new friends and some new fans. I also got a huge boost when on my way to the airport to come home we stopped at Isotope The Comic Book Lounge and slung copies of Youth in Asia to owner James Sime. Who throws one hell of an After the mayhem APE Con party. The Icon vowed to come back for 2010, and just to visit this awesome city again. I also got to see Alcatraz during it's 75th Anniversary. Which was very cool. I had no idea the historical significance besides being home to Al Capone and never successfully having been escaped.

Upon returning home to Tucson, one week later in fact. The day after the third annual Wonder Woman Day, I learned that a friend of mine, and former girlfriend, Lisa Berrie had been murdered back in August of 2008. I had wanted to help expand Wonder Woman Day to Tucson, but after hearing this I knew I had to do it.

In November, Anti-Hero Brand hit up the second annual Tucson Comic Con. We had a lot of people stop by and check out our stuff. I shared space with the talented Mike Moran and Venus of Necro split time between our booth and another. As you know Venus is the writer behind G2 The Book of Grrry and the forthcoming Fuzzyface.

The end of the year (ie the last several months) have been dedicated to the graphic novel Fuzzyface. I have, up to the end of 2009, finished almost 39 total pages of the proposed 54 interior pages, the cover and 1 pinup which is gonna be inked by Paul Fini, creator of Bliss and Plant Guy.

Goals for 2010 involve exhibiting at the biggest show there is, San Diego Comic Con International, splitting a booth with Phour Nyne Guy. Debuting Fuzzyface a month or two before at AHB's third straight Phoenix Comic Con. Getting the ball rolling on the origin story called Ten Years in Hell. Punching out Got Crayons? vol. 3. Youth in Asia issue 6 and the third installment of The Book of Grrry, and collect the series. The Hardcore Comic Book Icon plans to make waves in the industry this year, by promoting the hell out of Fuzzyface. I would very much like to make some more connections within the industry so I can begin my trek to working full time in comics and art.
I would also like to get storyboarding and preproduction done for the Youth in Asia live action movie teaser/trailer.

No comments:

Post a Comment