Tuesday, July 20, 2010

MC Chris is Dead: A Hardcore Review

Into it holds the idea that we should be fair and balanced and be "nice" and not be damning of a product or its creators. I say this. It would not be truth if I only reviewed things I liked or always in a favorable way. In fact the reviews where I have panned something have brought me the most kudos from readers. And quite simply, if you do not like things to be reviewed fairly and in an editorial manner... DON'T FUCKING READ MY REVIEWS! In fact if that's how you feel you should probably never read anything I write... EVAR!
I am going to remind everyone who reads these reviews that the grading system I use is this: instead of thumbs up or stars, I rate on hardcore moments in pro wrestling history. The more hardcore the event, match, promo or moment the more I liked the book, comic, movie or video game I am reviewing. The less hardcore the moment, the more I disliked it. An example would be anything related to Hulk Hogan would be highly NOT recommended. Onto the review...
I snagged this whole album off of iTunes after listening to the mini byte of Hoodie Ninja. This whole album is pure comedy Nerdcore hip-hop gold. MC Chris still self distributes his work. Meaning he is a lot like the small press guys in comics. I have a ton of respect for MC Chris in that he has a boatload of talent and he has the ability to laugh at himself. Tracks like Nrrrd Grrrl and Rollercoaster are freaking amazing. The sketches are fantastic, Metaphor and Magic are goddamned hilarious. And the final hidden track on the "Black" version of this album is worth the wait and tiny bit of extra cash for the download. But Fallen is perhaps my favorite track on the album. I gotta say MC Chris is an amazing MC and if he never makes it big it is a fucking crime. You gotta hear the amazing spin and twisted funny lyrics are priceless.
My grade for this most original hip hop album EVER made takes you back to 1997 and the ECW Arena. Rumor had it that Tod Gordon had tried to sell out the promotion to WCW and certain workers were on the list of turncoats. That included Bill Alphonso, Rob Van Dam and Sabu's manager. He was put into a mixed tag match with his boy RVD against team player Tommy Dreamer and Beulah. It ended up that Rob skipped out and left the arena, but not after kicking Tommy's ass, keeping him out of the 1 on 1 matchup with Fonzie versus Beulah. Fonzie bladed and lost a shit ton of blood. Rumor has it that it was 1/3 of his blood. He and Beulah pulled off a five minute war of bloody proportions. Beulah came out on top as the teachings of Tommy paid off. The match is said to have saved Fonzie's job in ECW.

No comments:

Post a Comment