Tuesday, July 20, 2010

P!NK Funhouse Tour; A Hardcore Review

Into it holds the idea that we should be fair and balanced and be "nice" and not be damning of a product or its creators. I say this. It would not be truth if I only reviewed things I liked or always in a favorable way. In fact the reviews where I have panned something have brought me the most kudos from readers. And quite simply, if you do not like things to be reviewed fairly and in an editorial manner... DON'T FUCKING READ MY REVIEWS! In fact if that's how you feel you should probably never read anything I write... EVAR!
I am going to remind everyone who reads these reviews that the grading system I use is this: instead of thumbs up or stars, I rate on hardcore moments in pro wrestling history. The more hardcore the event, match, promo or moment the more I liked the book, comic, movie or video game I am reviewing. The less hardcore the moment, the more I disliked it. An example would be anything related to Hulk Hogan would be highly NOT recommended. Onto the review...
This was the first really big concert I have ever been to in my entire life. I knew that P!NK is one of the hardest working performers in the music industry. And from the pictures on her fan pages, her shows are just that "shows." Its was part rock concert, part Cirque d' Solei. This was epic. The set, the lighting, the pageantry. Everything. It was perfect. Her set list. The opening act. Everything. And yes, The Ting Tings opened for P!NK. And they rocked. After seeing them, I am gonna buy their album. They only played about five songs, but it was all quality. They played a great set. And I didn't know it at the time, but they are a two person team, a la The White Stripes, but more funkier.
The set up for P!NK was pretty quick. It was so worth it. The opening piece was a video montage of P!NK in her home watching shitty cable tv. She gets so frustrated that she gets dressed, downs a few drinks and then makes a trail of gasoline out to her motorcycle. She then fires up her bike and sets the gas a blaze. Her group began the cranking of a giant toy box and out popped the bleached blond bombshell. I can't remember every song she sang, but the second song she sang, "Who Knew." This was just the first tear jerker she sang. During the song, I began thinking of one of my best friends, and how she is no longer here. But the mood was infectious, and you couldn't help but sing along. P!NK rocked out song after song all the while handling about six wardrobe changes during the act. She introduced her musicians twice, which was an awesome tribute, because even though she is P!NK she always has those top notch backup singers and musicians who carry that frantic pace for two hours. She played just about every hit she had including "Get the Party Started," "Please Don't Leave Me," "So What?" "Dear Mr. President," which she amended to speak of W in the past tense and that he is still a douchebag. She closed out the two hour set with "Evil Clowns." With two gynormous inflatable clowns.
I haven't been to a large number of concerts, The Misfits; K's Choice, Tonic and the Verve Pipe; Goldfinger and of course the very first concert I ever attended, Debbie Gibson. Yes, "The Electric Youth Tour."
I really dug this show. I don't know when I will be going to another concert, but it will stick with me forever. Thank you P!NK, your entire music and dance troupe, and to The Ting Tings, you made my month of September.
Being that truly hardcore moments in wrestling now seem to come less and less often. And being that every night when P!NK gets on stage she gives everything for her fans, I salute her and this entire experience with the stretch performed by Tommy Dreamer, after having herniated two discs in his back. The man was a machine. He went out, night after night and performed to sold out crowds, who expected him to literally give his life for their enjoyment. And he nearly did. The culmination of this run, was breathed with Tommy winning the ECW World Heavyweight Championship from Taz at CyberSlam in 2000. After which Tommy made a run with CW Anderson having an "I Quit" match at ECW's final pay per view, Guilty as Charged in 2001.

No comments:

Post a Comment