Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Superman/Batman: Public Enemies; A Hardcore Review

Into it holds the idea that we should be fair and balanced and be "nice" and not be damning of a product or its creators. I say this. It would not be truth if I only reviewed things I liked or always in a favorable way. In fact the reviews where I have panned something have brought me the most kudos from readers. And quite simply, if you do not like things to be reviewed fairly and in an editorial manner... DON'T FUCKING READ MY REVIEWS! In fact if that's how you feel you should probably never read anything I write... EVAR!
I am going to remind everyone who reads these reviews that the grading system I use is this: instead of thumbs up or stars, I rate on hardcore moments in pro wrestling history. The more hardcore the event, match, promo or moment the more I liked the book, comic, movie or video game I am reviewing. The less hardcore the moment, the more I disliked it. An example would be anything related to Hulk Hogan would be highly NOT recommended. Onto the review...
Today's review is the newly released Superman Batman: Public Enemies, based upon the story arc that relaunched World's Finest regular teamup of Supes and The Dark Knight, written by Jeph Loeb and drawn by Ed McGuinness. This movie was pretty true to the source material, while being itself an isolated animated feature on its own. First off, having Kevin Conroy, Tim Daly and Clancy Brown reprise their voice roles as Batman, Superman and Lex Luthor respectively. The animation was very much resembling Ed McGuinness' work. I was satisfied with the story, knowing that the best adaptions usually come in the form of animation. They can do everyting they do in comics in an animated form.
The elements were there, with all the badguys coming out of the woodwork to try and collect a bounty on Superman.
President Luthor's recruited henchmen, led by Captain Atom and Powergirl, who was freaking dead on with the voice of Alison Mack, and the animation which pegged her for McGuinness' art clone. I dug it alot. Especially the way they handled "Toyman" and PG's altercation. Classic and done in a way which made Kara handle herself much better than how Loeb wrote that whole scenario. I mean c'mon, if Superman is really intelligent and it is aided by Earth's yellow sun, then it stands to reason that Powergirl who gains her powers also from the yellow sun of Earth, she too would be intelligent.
The story altered from the Cloak and Dagger espionage in the White House scenes from the comic. But they were equally effective and well thought out. You can tell the writers had fun working on this project and respecting the source material, while simultaneously adding their own twists and turns.
The animation was really solid. I say solid and not fantastic because mainly 2D mixed with elements of 3D has not yet been perfected and always looks quirky and clumsy to someone who got their degree in animation. Hey, not only am I writing a review, and doing it on a comic book based animated feature, but I am also using my degree. Sweet!
I won't spoil the plot, the ending or any of the bonus stuffs. Which are aplenty. However, the Best Buy exclusive version with the Batman figure, which is Special Edition with a digital copy, is a two inch figure and is more of a figurine than anything with not great detail. However, it is one dollar cheaper than the special edition without the figure. Other let downs were, that the digital copy had to be downloaded off a website and was not an extra disc, which caused me to not be able to watch it while doing my overnight, as I had picked up the BluRay and not taken my PS3 with me. Another let down is that there is no main menu. Be careful with that "select" button when accessing the options. You have all the special features right there with having to scroll all the way to the bottom to actually play the freaking movie. Other than that, after watching the abortion that was Superman: Doomsday, this was a right on schedule, right height and weight healthy baby with ten fingers and ten toes.
Being that I am a purest to comics, but one who understands that Hollywood "can't" and sometimes just fucking won't do certain things with movie versions of the four color genius, I appreciated this movie a lot. I loved that they brought back all the key voice actors, and had both Voice Casting Director Andrea Romano do the voice of Giganta, but also Bruce Timm (if you need me to explain it will take too long) doing the voice of Mongul. This was tip top and hey, Powergirl had nice thighs, big tits and a bubble butt so what could I complain about. I give this flick a grade it deserves, just like this moment in hardcore wrestling history: (WWE)ECW's One Night Stand 2006, where Rob Van Dam finally got the title belt. Cena came out to a chorus of boos, by the ECW faithful, as well as a three minute stint of fighting with the fans who kept throwing his shirt back into the ring. It was fucking classic. RVD finally won the big one. He deserved it, and to that point, was the only wrestler who truly deserved it. The following Tuesday, ECW on Sci Fi was launched and RVD christened the WWE belt the ECW World Heavyweight Championship. Rob, this one is for you, and Sonya. The quote from Rob to Heyman was spot on when asked what he was gonna do with the WWE belt after relaunching the ECW title. Rob's answer was simple and true "ECW" RVD, "I'm gonna keep it too. Look, it spins."

No comments:

Post a Comment