Thursday, December 3, 2009

Fuzzyface production notes pt. 8

SO as to keep everyone abreast of what has been going on in the world of creating comics, I just finished the pencils for page 23 last night. I began the night as I begin so many Wednesday nights with chicken wings at Rocco's Little Chicago with Venus of Necro. After wards, Venus and I went to Ave Coffee for sketchbook, where she looked at the finished layouts and the finished pages, plus the newly inked cover art for the book. She approves vastly of all the work, and asked a few questions which we sorted through. She is very excited to see this monumental story hit the comic book racks. She is worried about one thing however; that people will feel that this is a slam on Jim Henson. I assured her that we could do away with those worries if she wrote the intro to the book. She's super busy with work and being pregnant right now that she may not be able to meet that deadline. I hit a friend, Henry to possibly write it too. He in interested. And I told him the only things he has to put in there for sure is that this is my attempt to pay tribute to a man who brought light and happiness to so many people. Jim Henson, in my mind is a god. He took a piece of fabric and turned it into a whole universe. Through what is fondly referred to as "Muppetry," Jim Henson made my childhood, and those of so many others a happy thing to remember. His work on such visionary films as Return to Oz, The Dark Crystal and Labyrinth paved the way for so many new ideas in the industry. And The Muppet Show was the first and only of its kind. A weekly variety show starring Muppets and their crazy antics. In fact the only thing pissing me off about it at the moment is that Muppets is not a recognized word here on the spell check. Muppet, singular, however is. How odd.
No, Fuzzyface is not a slam on Jim Henson in any way shape or form. I think Venus worries about this because of one particular panel, which shows a tombstone with the name J. Henson on it. I assured her that people wouldn't recognize it that way, however some might. And even without the grave marker some people might feel like we're bashing Henson's legacy anyways. Cause people are like that and they perceive things how they may. I don't blame them or get angry about it, cause I mean people look at me and see pigtails and a sidekick and they think a million things other than hey, "there goes a guy who is one of the best caregivers in Tucson," and that maybe it's just the way I choose to look. People always want to think the worst of things right from the jump. So to those of you who may pick up the GN Fuzzyface, let me assure you now, it is, in no way anything other than a personal tribute to the man and the idea that brought happiness to the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment