Thursday, December 10, 2009

Fuzzyface production notes pt. 9 "release date and printing/binding"

Decisions were made today about when to release Fuzzyface, as well as the parody rights when involving copyrighted or trademarked characters such as the Muppets. I have done a little research on parody and its use in the market against copyrighted materials. It looks as though we should be ok.
The decision made today was to release Fuzzyface: The Agnew Chainsaw Massacre at Phoenix Cactus ComiCon 2010. We can get press for it, as well as buy ad space for the release in the Phoenix Con program. This will also allow for more time in the printing and bindery process. Henry Barajas, who is getting into creating comics and is into the local comic scene here in Tucson is set to write the intro for the graphic novel. He got to see the work in progress and says that it looks like my, "best work to date." I take this an incredibly good sign, since Venus and Mike Moran have both stated the same. I too have looked at my storytelling abilities and also the overall quality of the work. My line style is still the same, but as Henry pointed out, he would like to see more shading and detail. When he saw the work he relayed that this is what he was talking about. He thinks the story is hilarious and says he can't wait for it to be finished. Venus is super excited as this is her second piece of published work through Anti-Hero Brand Press. Her earlier work is the second issue of The Book of Grrry, which was titled G2. Although somewhat nervous about others reading her work, Venus expressed somewhat of a relief in having this accomplishment come to fruition. She sighted that since the story in G2 and this story Fuzzyface were not based upon her own characters, she had an easier time in letting them become known by the public. Venus is also excited at the possibility of sitting in on an hour here or there for signing at Phoenix ComiCon. At the Memorial Day Weekend comic con, Venus will be the proud mother of a two month old baby girl. So she is uncertain as to her availability. I told her not to worry, as if she is not able to make it, I will bombard her with plenty of opportunities to sign as many copies of the graphic novel as possible before Mike Moran and I trek up to Phoenix. But I want her to be able to be there, should the web tv show she works on be covering the event.
The book itself has reached page 27 of the pencils. I have actually, and finally reached the halfway point for the artwork. I have a list of artists wanting and in the process of creating pin-ups for Fuzzyface, and a new creator in Henry, revving up to write the intro. Henry says he is psyched and looking forward to it. And I told the gang that I would be announcing preorders soon, online so that people wanting a copy could guarantee a first print for a lower cost than the still to be decided upon retail price. Talks are in for a price tag of either 12 or 15 dollars for the graphic novel, but that will include all the extras, such as the script, the layout pages, pin-ups and a sceduled running commentary/conversation between Venus and myself. As well as other possible extras to be decided upon and announced.
Then there is the question of printing and bindery. I would like to have the novel perfect bound like is traditional in the comic book industry. It is also pretty standard with comic shops too. As James Sime, owner of Isotope Comic Book Lounge in San Francisco told me he was worried that a spiral bound trade or graphic novel could and potentially would damage existing stock on his shelves. And that he would be more than happy to take collected works so long as they were perfect bound. There is a good option here in Tucson, with a locally owned and operated bindery called, Tucson Complete Bindery. They work pretty fast, as long as you have planned enough time for yourself and they are willing to do small, medium or very large jobs. Their prices are also very reasonable, as well as I do like to work with local businesses. My preferred printer, although not local is top quality at what they do, as well as able to work on a tight deadline.
So things are shaping up nicely with the book. As this past week, I got almost three whole pages done in one 24 hour period. From Sunday night when I was at work doing n overnight, till when I almost collapsed at Safehouse Monday night, I had completed pages 24, 25 and two thirds of page 26 AS WELL AS a pin-up for a collected edition to be called "Get That Chicken" a webcomic by Denny Riccelli. I have to get the pin-up scanned and then emailed to him, as my large format scanner is still being a pain in my ass and not working. But a lot of work has gone into Fuzzyface. And it is a labor of love. I am happy with page rate and the physical results I am seeing with this project. And in addition to a few other people's opinions, I too feel like this is my best work to date.

No comments:

Post a Comment